Saturday, February 9, 2008

As most of you know, our beloved prophet, Gordon B. Hinckley, passed away a few weeks ago. His sense of humor and warm spirit will be missed. I heard the news while at my parents on that Sunday night, and he had passed away an hour before I heard the news. While death is normally a sad thing, I couldn't help but think to myself of how happy he is to be with his lovely wife who passed on several years ago. President Hinckley passed away of natural causes, and was 97 years old.
Several days later I got news of a boy who used to live in my neighborhood passing away. This boy was in his early twenties, and had been severely depressed for some time. He decided to take his own life, and succeeded in doing so. This boy was so young, and his death was devastating to his family.
When I received news of the young man taking his own life, I couldn't help but think of the contrast between the two deaths. Yet, I thought of the similarities as well. I am sure when Pres Hinckley died, his sweet wife was so happy to greet him. I am certain it felt to him like coming home, and that our Heavenly Father was there to say hello to his friend.
When the young man took his own life, I am certain our Heavenly Father was there and was just as happy that the pain His son had been experiencing was over. We are all children of God, and His love is the same for each of us, regardless of our circumstance, and despite our issues in this life. I am grateful for the mercy and love Heavenly Father and Jesus have for each of us equally.

0 comments: